Medical Scientist (Senior / Haematology Line Lead)
|Apply before: 30 / 09 / 2020|
|Position Type: Full-time|
|Location: MedLab Pathology, Unit 3, Sandyford Business Park, Sandyford Business Estate, Dublin 18|
About MedLab Pathology
MedLab Pathology (MLP) was established in May 2010 as Sonic Healthcare's Irish laboratory facility. MedLab Pathology is being developed to bring together our proven international capabilities and local expertise to provide internationally recognised best practice developments in laboratory medicine to the Irish healthcare sector.
Sonic Healthcare is an international medical diagnostics company, offering extensive laboratory medicine/pathology and radiology services to the medical community. Sonic Healthcare is structured as a decentralised federation of medically-led diagnostic practices, with our head office located in Sydney, Australia.
MLP offers a wide range of diagnostic pathology tests and patient services from our Dublin-based laboratory to the Irish healthcare sector. Through our dedicated clinical, scientific, customer support and logistics staff MedLab Pathology can offer a complete laboratory solution for all Irish healthcare professionals. Our aim is to offer commitment to customer service, strong working relationships and help and support for referring doctors and their practices.
We are seeking an experienced Medical Scientist with Haematology training and experience to fill a role of senior / potential Haematology Line Lead to assist with the provision of a quality laboratory service in line with ISO 15189:2012 standards of MedLab Pathology. As a key member of the Pathology Laboratory team, the Senior Medical Scientist will demonstrate professional competence, team-working skills and facilitate effective communication with colleagues in the organisation. The position requires a participatory approach, embracing continuous quality improvement and the management of changes necessary to achieve organisational objectives. The role will be multi-disciplinary in relation to Biochemistry, Haematology and Serology. Full procedural and cross training will be provided.
- Perform automated Haematology and manual differential analysis
- Perform automated Clinical Chemistry analysis
- Perform/monitor Haematology and Clinical Chemistry quality assurance program.
- Perform automated Serology analysis
- Perform/monitor Serology quality assurance program.
- Assist in reagent and general stock control related to the AutoLab area.
- Be aware of current advances and appraise new techniques.
- Evaluate results and communicate with the Laboratory Management, Consultant Pathologist and/or the requesting clinician any relevant information regarding patient safety.
- Carry out clerical and technical tasks in accordance with sample handling procedures.
- Manage all auxiliary functions as assigned by the Laboratory Management.
- Guidance and supervision of junior and student medical scientists.
- Knowledge of ISO 15189:2012 requirements and INAB Regulations.
- Provision of training for all student medical scientists and auxiliary laboratory personnel.
- Archive slide and results in accordance with relevant procedures.
- Participation in relevant internal and external training and proficiency programs.
- Participation in continuing education and feedback sessions.
- Clean and maintain equipment to achieve the optimum instrument performance and maintain a clean and safe working environment.
- Perform annual review of all direct reports.
- Provide input to maintaining policies and procedures, review and update as required.
- Comply with Health and Safety legislation and be aware of the responsibilities of the employee in this context.
- All other duties as assigned by the Operations Manager.
Direction of Medical Scientists and medical laboratory aides.
Authorization of patient results.
Communication to nurses, GPs and consultants regarding patient sample and demographic information.
Essential requirements for the ideal candidate:
- Educational Requirements
MSc in Medical Laboratory-related discipline
Current registration with Academy of Medical Laboratory Science.
- Experience Required
At least 4 years in a similar role
- Key Competencies
Good organization skills.
Ability to work in a team.
Ability to handle confidential material.
Ability to work on own initiative.
Customer Service oriented.
Ability to work under pressure
Efficient and well organized.
- Particulars of office
Full-time permanent contract.
• Normal working hours will be 37.5 hours per week.
• You will be required to work the agreed roster/on call arrangements advised to you by your
• Your contracted hours of work are liable to change between the hours of 7.00am – 8.00pm
Monday – Friday, and 9am-1am on Saturdays.
• The additional on call service is a 24 hr service 7 days a week which carries an additional
Payment and will be rostered accordingly.
Why work at Medlab:
MedLab Pathology are passionate about their people and believe in their development and growth.
- Competitive salary
- An Education Support Programme
- Free on-site parking, ease of access (close to bus and Luas stops)
- On call service
- Cross-training in a multidisciplinary laboratory - Development opportunities
- Opportunities for career progression
- Access to a Pension Scheme
- Access to Employee Health Insurance Scheme with Employee Assistance Programme
- Access to Life Assurance
- Paid work social events
- Reward Scheme for Annual Absence Record
MedLab Pathology is an Equal Opportunities Employer
Please email your CV and cover letter directly to firstname.lastname@example.org